Thursday, December 17, 2009

Floyd Kniffen's Letter to the Editor 12/17/09: We Must Fix the Problems at the Middle School

"If you're gonna do something, do it right!" I have always been a big believer of this principle.

We must fix the problems at the New Paltz Middle School. This is a fact that we cannot escape. This building has served us well, but now it's time to renovate to meet our current and future needs.

Not addressing all of the problems at the middle school during this renovation will only make it more costly to address them in the future. This is why the School Board is proposing such an extensive project. This money is more wisely spent now than put off into the future.

With that said, I can understand why some will criticize the School Board for proposing such an extensive project. But we must look at this cost over a period of time. The proposed middle school renovation will provide the best return on the money spent now. This is why I support the School Board's efforts to do the right thing (and not the popular thing) -- to fix our middle school in the most cost-efficient manner.

I have been attending middle school forums and School Board meetings. At these meetings, I have learned a lot about this project. I have also become acquainted with the project's consultants and spoken to them about the type of construction being proposed. I am certain that this project will be built to last, will be energy efficient and will also include energy-producing systems. This is the right type of building construction for our community. This is the right investment to make for our future.

Construction has been my life. After college, I spent many years managing projects of this magnitude. I have researched school construction costs in our area and concluded that the cost per square foot and cost per student of this project is in line with other local projects.

Please do not allow efforts from critics to scare you from investing in our schools. Vocal opponents and full-page ads are impressive tactics. This type of fear mongering is not only wrong, but potentially damaging to our community. If you have any doubts about this project, please attend the forums and meetings. If you would like me to share my thoughts and research, I would be more than happy to discuss them with you.

Floyd Kniffen
New Paltz

No comments:

Post a Comment