Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Stacey Schaffer's Letter to the Editor 12/23/09: Support the Middle School Renovation

For a second consecutive week another $800 anonymous ad attacking the proposed New Paltz Middle School renovation is in the paper. That brings us up to 50% of what a home of $300,000 would pay for the renovation -- ten years' worth of payments -- in just two weeks, supposedly in support of ordinary folks' inability to afford an amount of money that's the equivalent of one-sixth of a typical monthly cable bill, which virtually everyone in this community pays -- good times or bad. Our inability to sell our houses is attested to by people who tried to sell their homes for a million-and-a-half dollars. These are not my spokespeople.

Is anyone besides me finding a painful -- dare I say manipulative -- paradox in the lavishing of so much money to be protected from having to spend less money than the cost of advertising to not spend the money? Many of our children are walking around with cell phones that cost more for monthly service in two months than I'm being asked to pay in taxes for this renovation in a full year. I can afford this renovation. I want to afford this renovation and I will find room for it in my modest budget. Our children's ability to thrive in adulthood, our community's ability to bring forth future generations of high-functioning citizens to keep our home safe, sound and productive and even our ability to maintain our property values through the attraction quality public education holds for young families all depend upon it. Please join me in supporting the middle school renovation.

Stacey Schaffer
Esopus

No comments:

Post a Comment