Friday, January 22, 2010

Matthew Maley's Letter to the Editor 01/21/10: The Best Time is Now

I support the renovations.

I toured the middle school two years ago when the school board first asked for public input. I saw the cracks in the foundation. I witnessed the overheated gymnasium. I climbed to areas of the school inaccessible to handicapped students.

Truth is there will never be a good time in the near future to fix this school. Our economy will not magically fix itself in a year or two...or three. But neither will the middle school.

I appreciate the majority of honest, frank opinions and concerns people have been voicing from both sides of this issue. I respect and understand their opinions because it's based on intelligent, dynamic debate from people who are publicly involved and care equally about our community.

But there is a small, increasingly vocal opposition that have brought this debate off the rails. So, in my opinion: When the over-inflated cost some people keep repeating in the paper doesn't take into account state funding and tax incentives, they are either ill-informed or disingenuous. When the school board is accused of sneaking this project through without enough review and public input, I ask where were you during the last two years when the board literally begged for more public input? To those too scared of letting their opinions be heard in fear of repercussions, the school board was voted in by the community. They are our neighbors, not a medieval panel that will take your children and over-tax your home if you voice dissent.

Finally, this is not some frivolous extravagance we want to lavish on our children! I simply don't understand this argument. It's not a giant Xbox. This is a 21st-century school generations of children will learn and grow in. And green technology will make it increasingly more affordable over the decades to come.

Matthew Maley
New Paltz

No comments:

Post a Comment