Friday, January 15, 2010

Steve Casa's Letter to the Editor 01/14/10: An Opportune Investment

Being a lifelong educator and someone who has dedicated a majority of his free time to young people and their development, I felt the need to contribute to the discussion regarding the middle-school renovation in New Paltz. We all know that the middle school is in dire need of renovation. This is a fact. My fervent support for this renovation has to do with my experiences with students and educators that I've had the pleasure to work with, along with a simple formula that I learned about in college finance.

I have 20 years of experience in schools as a teacher and coach, and for the last five years I have worked for a non-profit that helps reform high schools around the country. I have been in hundreds of different school buildings, many in a similar state as the middle school. The reality is that facilities do make a difference, not only in a child's attitude toward learning but also in staff morale, attendance for both students and educators -- along with giving all stakeholders the best possible venue for teaching and learning. I have seen both sides of the spectrum, and there is a positive difference when facilities are state-of-the-art.

If we want the best for our children and community we must make sacrifices, sometimes at inopportune times. However I don't believe this is an inopportune time. My belief is that we must vote yes and here's why.

Our $49-million investment is worth just that in today's dollars; with an average inflation rate of 2.82% over the last five years, that $49 million will only purchase $44,970,401 if we were to wait three years to start the project, $42,469,833 if we start in five years, and $36,809,933 if we waited ten years. We also must add the cost of band-aid upgrades and fixes while we postpone our investment and wait for a better market.

Waiting would be prohibitive and a less prudent investment. Good investors, the most successful investors, buy into down markets, and that is why we must all make the sacrifice now for our children and educators. We've all lamented about missing opportunities for good investments, let's not miss this one.

I am a single parent, with two children in the district, who owns a home in the town of New Paltz and who like everyone else feels the pinch of the current economy. Tax increases affect me as they affect us all; nonetheless, I see the value in this investment for our children and their future. In fact, my daughter, who is in fifth grade, will be directly affected by the adjustments that will be necessary while the project is completed. However, this issue is much larger than just my daughter. This is about all children in our community for years to come. Please join me in voting yes for this savvy, long-term investment in our children.

Stephen T. Casa
New Paltz

No comments:

Post a Comment