Friday, February 5, 2010

Floyd Kniffen's Letter to the Editor 02/04/10: Don't Believe Their Hype

This past fall, I began attending the public forums for the Middle School project. Prior to this, I had no knowledge to the specifics of this project. I never signed petitions our voiced support for this project. I was coming into this with an open mind, undecided about the project. At these meetings, I voiced my concerns about specific aspects of the project – becoming more and more aware of the details.

Growing up in New Paltz, I attended the Middle School. My morning routine during these years included first riding my bike to Hobo Deli (now, Moonlight CafĂ©), sweeping the front sidewalk for a dollar, maybe spend a quarter to play Pac Man, and then riding my bike up Main Street to school. My after school routine usually involved the Youth Center followed by an elaborate downhill bike route through the college and then home. Because of the Middle School’s location, we all interacted with the surrounding community. There is so much potential at this location!

I now have two children, one in Kindergarten and one in preschool. I look forward to their years in our schools. I am thankful that we have a great school district and I hold our School Board to maintaining a great school district for the future. From what I have seen and experienced to date, I am impressed with the School Board members. It is obvious that they are hard working and diligent in making sure they are doing what is best for both our school district and our tax payers. The project they are presenting is the culmination of teacher, student, parent and professional involvement.

After careful consideration of the details and costs, I whole-heartedly support this project. It is not too big. The Middle School needs more than repairs, it needs a major overhaul. This is so obvious - and to say otherwise, is just careless rhetoric!

We need to start this project now. Construction costs are very reasonable, interest rates are low and further repair costs will be avoided. As in all municipal projects, the costs of this project will be bonded over twenty years, so we will reap the benefits of today’s construction climate while paying the costs over time. If we delay this project, we will most likely lose these cost reductions while still paying over the same time period.

There is a well-organized group of vocal opponents to this project. I have struggled with understanding the reason behind their vehement opposition. This group is mostly made up of local landlords claiming that their motive is to unite our community. In all of their literature, I don’t find one real reason that justifies a vote against this project. It is mostly large dollar figures plastered around weak arguments!

If there is any doubt in your mind that this project is needed, please don’t base your decision on hype and scare tactics. Tour the Middle School on February 4th or contact the school district office for more information.

Please vote YES for the Middle School project. Voting will take place at the high school this coming Tuesday, February 9th.

Floyd Kniffen
New Paltz

No comments:

Post a Comment