Friday, February 5, 2010

Terence Ward's Letter to the Editor 02/04/10: When To Draw the Line

Many of my fellow New Paltz residents may have seen the sign I placed in front of my home on South Chestnut Street, which proclaimed, "Homeowners are for the Middle School -- Landlords are NOT!" My home was a good location for this sign because it is not only highly visible, it's just down the street from a very expensive anti-middle school sign on a rental property. (There are several of those large signs around town, all of which are on multi-unit, non-owner-occupied buildings.)

This morning I discovered that the sign, which was secured to a tree in my yard by an Eagle Scout well acquainted with knots, was missing.

I respect the fact that people have differing views on the middle school. I welcome debate. I'm even open to change my own position, if I hear enough evidence to sway me. I do not have children in school, so I will not be swayed by emotional arguments, but I relish a factual debate.

I draw the line at supporting petty thievery to silence the opposition.

Terence Ward
New Paltz

No comments:

Post a Comment